Monday, November 27, 2006

A Date with my Ex

This is an interesting story. So interesting that it's not going to have a definite begining.Let me begin by saying that I met up with my ex, for the sake of the story I shall call him the Great Pretender. I was who initiated the encounter, though he is who started contacting me by phone this year after almost 3 years of non-contact.

Why did I want to meet up with him? Curiosity and disbelief. Curiosity because what would make The Great Pretender call me now? Could he possibly believe that after our catostrophic breakup and its aftermath we could be friends? Or that we could give Us a second chance? Was I totally wrong in thinking that he had ulterior motives? He said he had a girlfriend, that should have affected what I thought of the situation, but it didn't. This brings me to the topic of my next post is going to be about: trust. I trusted and loved the Great Pretender a lot. But that was then. I know better now, a lot better.

He must have thought I was having a great time because I could not stop laughing/smiling. We ended up having a late lunch at a restaurant we had been to once before, 3 years ago, when we were a couple. Everything that was said and happened was so ridiculous that I could not stop laughing ...at him. His comments were inappropriate and embarrasing considering that he has a girlfriend, and thinks that I have a boyfriend. I guess it was obvious to everyone except for me (until now) that he indeed just wants to keep me around for a "just in case".He admitted to me that despite claiming to love his girlfriend he is not sure he wants to marry her. Funny I thought, because I remember when he used to tell people that he wanted to marry me. HA! Actually I just remembered that he asked me about that! He asked what I would have said if he proposed to me.

Oh my gosh. He is so arrogant. It was kind of embarrassing to sit across from him and remember all that went on between us. But at the same time, I sat there with the satisfaction of knowing something he doesn't know. There was a time when his little tricks would have worked on me. He was trying to charm me, looked at me smiled, and said that I was cute. I just raised my eyebrow at him. For a while after we broke up, I was afraid that I had not gotten over him despite being aware of all the foul things that he did during and after our relationship. But after our restaurant date, I felt sorry for his girlfriend. I was in her shoes three years ago and came to my senses. She's been with him for two years, and I know she has no idea that he's met up with me and I know (because he admitted) that he cannot talk on the phone with me if she's in the room. Good riddance! I know he will call me in a few weeks to say "Hope all is well" and to see how I am doing (and ask if I am still with my boyfriend). I am done picking up the phone, for real this time. I'm even putting this in writing! So with this said, I not only close this chapter of my life, but I'm sealing it and throwing it into a well like in that movie, the Ring. lol.

2 comments:

sojourness said...

i would have advised against it seeing as i hate his guts but it looks like you made the right move, meeting up with him. good job, hon. glad you are so strong and aware of your self-worth to laugh in his face.

cheekynomad said...

i knew you'd advise against it, i didn't tell many that i was doing it. but i had something to prove to myself.