I've made it my personal project to spruce up Kevin's studio at any chance I get. He's given me the green light after I surprised him with the makeover that he really wound up liking. I've been on the lookout for chairs for his "dining room." Being on a budget of zero dollars made this a task that would not be completed overnight.

Last weekend, Kevin was in my car when I abruptly stopped and told him to get out. I had spotted two chairs on the curb for garbage pickup. They looked like they could use some TLC (new cushions, and lots of elbow grease). Though we have yet to actually fasten the chair cushion to the chair, we're quite proud of the finished product. Total cost: $10 for fabric. We used an old pillow for the cushions, and he already had a staple gun.
I also started and finished the Autobiography of Malcolm X. What an amazing book. I'm
ashamed to admit how little, nearly nothing, I knew about Malcolm X. I've never even seen the movie - this is soon to change.As I got near the end of the book, knowing he was about to be assassinated, I couldn't help but tear up at the betrayal about to occur. It also saddened me because I thought of what more he could have accomplished with his post-pilgrimage message, had he lived longer. I spent some time on Youtube after finishing the book, listening to him speak.
I found a picture of his "conk" and "Red" days.
And for the last unrelated topic: property ownership. I have a lawyer, an inspector, and an accepted offer on a 1br co-op apartment in Brooklyn. I also have occasional cold feet on signing the contract. The inspection is scheduled for 4 days from now, so let's see what develops. Hopefully nothing will and we can proceed with paperwork. I am sometimes in awe that this is really happening. Less than six months ago, I was unemployed and crashing in Kevin's studio with Kevin and his brother. Cozy. Crazy.
1 comment:
ahhh, your fascination with chairs... something you will be exploring in your new COOP!!!!!! congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment