Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Not so busy day

I'm at work ,again, without much to do. I know this will change very soon so I'm just trying to look busy and not bother anyone who's busy with end-of-month and end-of-quarter activities.

I"m going to take my time writing this entry so it won't be full with as many typos and poor English as what I wrote yesterday. Besides, writing more is good practice for me, another, yes, another goal of mine this year is to take the GRE or GMAT.

I guess the safe thing to do would be to just focus on the GMAT. As of right now, it seems most likely that the most natural thing for me to do would be to get an MBA. I mean, I did just complete a rather intensive, and dare I say elite? training program at a major Fortune10 company. And that's not a typo for "one hundred", I meant "ten".

But in keeping true to my recent change of plans, I'd want to keep my options open. WHat if I do another 180 and decide that a social science is what I want to move onto? (I would need the GRE in that case).

Anyway, being in this new job and new industry and completely different work culture environment, I'm trying not to come across as ms. corporate cuz this is soo not that environment. Almost every piece of 'work clothes' that I have consists of a button-shirt and slacks/dress-pants. Getting dressed in the mornings only happens because I spend 30 minutes the night before looking through things
-what doesn't look "stuffy"
-what still fits
-what doesn't need ironing
-what isn't dirty

I am not going to use this as an excuse to condone shopping. Besides, that line of thinking already got me one purchase. I simply need to 1- do laundry, 2- iron, and in that same order preferrably.

In my first week here I was supposed to have software training that got pushed back a week. Hence, I really had absolutely nothing to do. I was trying to appear eager and ask people who are kinda gonna be my supervisors what I should expect, what can I do in the meantime, etc. The outcome was that someone sit down wiith me and told me to relax , not freak out, that this place isn't necessary as structured as my former employer, and that things would pick up soon. So here I am, no longer bothering people to put me to work (lol - how pathetic am I!). I was constantly thrown into sink-or-swim situations from DayOne at my former employer. I'm not saying I liked it, but it's definitely what I'm used to. So being here, and not being busy (YET) I feel like at any point someone can point at me and say, "why did we hire her?, "does she really need to be here?". Paranoid? A little. Neurotic? That's me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are there any openings? =)